“Just as before Oct. 17, we are enforcing the laws and we are continuing to do so. Anybody who remains open is to do so at their own risk,” spokesperson Gary Long told Global News Friday evening.
Long said officers were enforcing provisions under the Cannabis Act. He said several people were charged and released.
Under Ontario law, the provincial government’s online retailer, the Ontario Cannabis Store, is the only legal vendor for marijuana until April 1. At that time, the Ontario government will issue licences for private businesses to sell cannabis.
The City of Toronto told Global News as of Thursday, there were 92 known marijuana dispensaries. A spokesperson said 56 closed on their own pending the issuance of licences, therefore leaving 36 illegal retail locations.
Long did not elaborate on why the five specific locations, located on 66 Fort York Blvd., 333 Spadina Ave., 912 Danforth Ave., 1506 Dundas St. W. and 2655 Lawrence Ave. E., were chosen.
Marijuana activist Marc Emery condemned the raids on Twitter Friday evening.
“There are no legal shops in Toronto due for six months but Toronto police services want you to have no real access for half a year while pot is supposedly legal,” he wrote.
“We had way more access during prohibition!”
— With files from Kamil Karamali
© 2018 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.
- This is the Buds2Go Staff Account. We work really hard to provide information and news about marijuana legalization, product information and promotional events going on across Canada. We are fanatics and experts on strains and utilizing medical cannabis for the treatment of common ailments.
- Video2019.02.07Where should Canadians go to buy weed online?
- News2018.10.19‘A 24/7 thing’: Ottawa police begin checkstop blitz to target cannabis-impaired drivers — even in the morning
- News2018.10.19Toronto police raid 5 marijuana dispensaries as retail locations still not permitted – Toronto
- News2018.10.19Former task force chair says everyone needs to obey the rules on legalized cannabis – New Brunswick