Toronto’s District School Board is pushing for marijuana dispensaries to be located far from city schools when cannabis is legalized next summer.
During their regular meeting this week, board trustees asked the chair to write a letter to Toronto Mayor John Tory and Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne requesting that the school board be consulted in all discussions regarding the regulation and locations of marijuana dispensaries.
The board’s Director of Education has been directed to work towards keeping marijuana dispensaries as far away from schools as possible.
Trustees also asked for a staff report, complete with recommendations, on how to address possible impacts of marijuana legalization and its regulation on the TDSB.
“It’s important that we have a role in these conversations about the possible locations where marijuana will be sold,” said TDSB Chair Robin Pilkey in a press release on Friday.
“We want to ensure that reasonable precautions are taken to ensure safe environments for our students and staff.”
The federal government introduced legislation in April with a goal of legalizing and regulating the use of recreational pot by July 1, 2018.
In September, Ontario’s government detailed its plan to sell and distribute recreational marijuana at 150 dedicated stores run by the province’s liquor control board.
Residents under the age of 19 will be restricted from purchasing marijuana.
With file from The Canadian Press.
© 2017 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.
- This is the Buds2Go Staff Account. We work really hard to provide information and news about marijuana legalization, product information and promotional events going on across Canada. We are fanatics and experts on strains and utilizing medical cannabis for the treatment of common ailments.
- News2018.10.19‘A 24/7 thing’: Ottawa police begin checkstop blitz to target cannabis-impaired drivers — even in the morning
- News2018.10.19Toronto police raid 5 marijuana dispensaries as retail locations still not permitted – Toronto
- News2018.10.19Former task force chair says everyone needs to obey the rules on legalized cannabis – New Brunswick
- News2018.10.16Halifax rolls out more designated smoking areas ahead of cannabis legalization – Halifax