It looks like Regina is planning on taking a drastically different approach when it comes to legal marijuana shops in the Queen City compared to Saskatoon.
On Wednesday in Saskatoon, a city council committee unanimously agreed to recommend that marijuana retailers should be charged $20,000 for their commercial business licences.
“By no means will I ever entertain a penny of citizens of Saskatoon property tax going towards the administration, the costs associated with these seven retail cannabis outlets,” Saskatoon Coun. Darren Hill said.
“They’re going to be extremely lucrative, private, for-profit ventures that should be funded by their business licence fee.”
In Regina, the city said they will not require a commercial business license to start up a marijuana shop, so the startup fee to start the business wouldn’t cost a penny.
The City of Regina added in a statement, that they are focusing on determining appropriate zoning requirements and council reviewed administration reports in February around the framework for a municipal preparedness plan, and in May around zoning.
The city added they are confident they will be ready for marijuana legalization and will continue to monitor the expected impact of legalization and will make further recommendations if they see appropriate in the future.
With files from Global’s Adam MacVicar
© 2018 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.
- This is the Buds2Go Staff Account. We work really hard to provide information and news about marijuana legalization, product information and promotional events going on across Canada. We are fanatics and experts on strains and utilizing medical cannabis for the treatment of common ailments.
- News2018.10.19‘A 24/7 thing’: Ottawa police begin checkstop blitz to target cannabis-impaired drivers — even in the morning
- News2018.10.19Toronto police raid 5 marijuana dispensaries as retail locations still not permitted – Toronto
- News2018.10.19Former task force chair says everyone needs to obey the rules on legalized cannabis – New Brunswick
- News2018.10.16Halifax rolls out more designated smoking areas ahead of cannabis legalization – Halifax