After months of debate, the Quebec government has passed its long-awaited recreational marijuana law.
The legislation outlines the framework for who can purchase cannabis, where it can be used and how it will be sold.
The Quebec Liberals and Québec solidaire voted in favour of Bill 157, while the Parti Québécois and Coalition Avenir Québec voted against it.
“I am extremely disappointed with the attitude of the Parti Québécois,” said Public Health Minister Lucie Charlebois, adding the party never showed signs of opposition against the bill.
She said she didn’t approve of the PQ using politics to block a bill that affects the public — especially Quebec youth.
“I will leave you with this, I am a little bit mad,” she said.
PQ Leader Jean-François Lisée said he wanted Quebec, not Ottawa, to control the production of cannabis.
“This abandonment of Quebec independence when it comes to a legal agricultural sector, for us, is unacceptable,” he said.
The PQ also wanted the Couillard government to prohibit consuming marijuana in public.
The CAQ, for its part, has long been opposed to the legal age being set at 18 instead of 21 and has slammed the government for allowing municipalities to individually set rules on where marijuana can be consumed.
— with files from the Canadian Press
© 2018 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.
- This is the Buds2Go Staff Account. We work really hard to provide information and news about marijuana legalization, product information and promotional events going on across Canada. We are fanatics and experts on strains and utilizing medical cannabis for the treatment of common ailments.
- Video2019.02.07Where should Canadians go to buy weed online?
- News2018.10.19‘A 24/7 thing’: Ottawa police begin checkstop blitz to target cannabis-impaired drivers — even in the morning
- News2018.10.19Toronto police raid 5 marijuana dispensaries as retail locations still not permitted – Toronto
- News2018.10.19Former task force chair says everyone needs to obey the rules on legalized cannabis – New Brunswick