Organigram, the Moncton based medical marijuana producer, is expecting a big turnout for its upcoming job fair in October.
They say there will likely be no shortage of applicants for the more than 150 jobs up for grabs.
“What we will be looking for is primarily productions and cultivation jobs. But also a lot of administrative supports such as HR, Finance, IT, marketing, client service” said Ray Gracewood, Chief Commercial Officer at Organigram.
The job fair is being held on October 21st in Moncton at a location soon to be determined. Gracewood says they are planning for a big crowd since the company is preparing to double its workforce by the end of next year; from about 110 employees to more than 250.
By the end of this year he says a $60-million expansion will be complete and the company will have tripled the size of its plant — all in preparation for next year when pot is legal in Canada.
“We’ve actually got two other buildings that we will be expanding to beyond 2017,” said Gracewood.
But the business of marijuana isn’t looking so rosy for the consumer.
Industry experts say Canada’s licenced producers won’t be able to come close to meeting demand for recreational reefer, with Canadians expected to buy 650,000 kilograms of weed a year.
Gracewood says New Brunswick is already ahead of the game.
Earlier this month, the province signed a deal with both Organigram and Canopy Growth to supply a million grams of marijuana a year for sale in the province and Sarah Bustard, acting communications officer for the New Brunswick Department of Finance, confirmed the province is scouting for even more product.
“This will ensure there is a safe and secure supply of recreational cannabis when it becomes legal in July 2018. We also continue to have conversations with other suppliers,” Bustard wrote in an email.
Gracewood says Organigram is negotiating to supply cannabis to other provinces.
© 2017 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.
- This is the Buds2Go Staff Account. We work really hard to provide information and news about marijuana legalization, product information and promotional events going on across Canada. We are fanatics and experts on strains and utilizing medical cannabis for the treatment of common ailments.
- News2018.10.19‘A 24/7 thing’: Ottawa police begin checkstop blitz to target cannabis-impaired drivers — even in the morning
- News2018.10.19Toronto police raid 5 marijuana dispensaries as retail locations still not permitted – Toronto
- News2018.10.19Former task force chair says everyone needs to obey the rules on legalized cannabis – New Brunswick
- News2018.10.16Halifax rolls out more designated smoking areas ahead of cannabis legalization – Halifax