Now that the Ontario government has introduced legislation to regulate recreational cannabis, the owner of a Hamilton medical cannabis dispensary is optimistic the two sides can coexist.
Hamilton is one of the 14 cities to get the first run of Cannabis Control Board of Ontario (CCBO) stores selling recreational pot when legalization takes effect next summer.
Clint Young of MMJ — a medical marijuana dispensary with three locations in Hamilton — says the retail trade is “big enough for everyone.”
“If we go about this like a proper business, I feel there might be an ability to get ourselves in there with the Cannabis Control Board of Ontario. Clearly, the government needs its CCBO,” he said. “The province is not going to let us control the market, which is understandable.”
LISTEN: Clint Young joins the Bill Kelly Show with guest host Rick Zamperin
Young says he and others in the medical pot sector have been surveying people and the results show there is enough demand for both government agency stores and the craft marketplace.
He says the medical dispensaries already operating adhere to rules for proper security and handling, along with any local regulations for things like distance from schools.
Young adds the government stores will exist, he just doesn’t want them to exist without the pioneers of the marketplace.
This article is not written or edited by Global News. The author is solely responsible for the content. © Shiona Thompson, 2017
- This is the Buds2Go Staff Account. We work really hard to provide information and news about marijuana legalization, product information and promotional events going on across Canada. We are fanatics and experts on strains and utilizing medical cannabis for the treatment of common ailments.
- Video2019.02.07Where should Canadians go to buy weed online?
- News2018.10.19‘A 24/7 thing’: Ottawa police begin checkstop blitz to target cannabis-impaired drivers — even in the morning
- News2018.10.19Toronto police raid 5 marijuana dispensaries as retail locations still not permitted – Toronto
- News2018.10.19Former task force chair says everyone needs to obey the rules on legalized cannabis – New Brunswick