It was announced as part of the Budget Implementation and Tax Statutes Amendment Act, released by the Progressive Conservative government Wednesday.
The province previously announced a social responsibility fee of six per cent which will be applied to the total annual revenues of each cannabis retailer.
A markup of 75 cents per gram will also be applied, plus an additional nine per cent at the wholesale distribution level.
The government says this money will help pay for public education, safety enforcement and addictions programs.
The province has stated they want to keep the prices low to drive out the illegal market.
WATCH: Pot rules, penalties in line with tobacco, alcohol: Manitoba ministers
© 2018 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.
- This is the Buds2Go Staff Account. We work really hard to provide information and news about marijuana legalization, product information and promotional events going on across Canada. We are fanatics and experts on strains and utilizing medical cannabis for the treatment of common ailments.
- Video2019.02.07Where should Canadians go to buy weed online?
- News2018.10.19‘A 24/7 thing’: Ottawa police begin checkstop blitz to target cannabis-impaired drivers — even in the morning
- News2018.10.19Toronto police raid 5 marijuana dispensaries as retail locations still not permitted – Toronto
- News2018.10.19Former task force chair says everyone needs to obey the rules on legalized cannabis – New Brunswick