An Ohio-based technology company has been awarded the contract to build and manage the website the Alberta Gaming and Liquor Commission (AGLC) will use to sell cannabis online.
OnX Enterprise Solutions won a three-year, $15.8-million contract to develop the AGLC online cannabis sales platform.
OnX, which has offices throughout Canada, the United States and the United Kingdom, was acquired by Ohio-based Cincinnati Bell Technology Solutions in November 2017.
“OnX’s multi-national client base, solid reputation, along with their extensive experience implementing thousands of information technology solutions throughout North America and the UK, were key deciding factors in our choice,” AGLC vice president and COO Niaz Nejad said.
“We are confident that the creation and management of Alberta’s online cannabis sales system is in good hands.”
While the initial contract is for three years, AGLC has the option to extend OnX’s involvement for up to a total of 10 years.
The contract was awarded through a negotiated request for proposal process which was posted in early February 2018.
Cannabis sales are expected to be a money-losing enterprise for AGLC in the first two years of operation.
The 2018-19 Alberta fiscal plan estimates the commission will lose $90 million through 2020 due to product acquisition and setup costs.
The online store is expected to make $37 million in the 2020-21 fiscal year.
© 2018 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.
- This is the Buds2Go Staff Account. We work really hard to provide information and news about marijuana legalization, product information and promotional events going on across Canada. We are fanatics and experts on strains and utilizing medical cannabis for the treatment of common ailments.
- News2018.10.19‘A 24/7 thing’: Ottawa police begin checkstop blitz to target cannabis-impaired drivers — even in the morning
- News2018.10.19Toronto police raid 5 marijuana dispensaries as retail locations still not permitted – Toronto
- News2018.10.19Former task force chair says everyone needs to obey the rules on legalized cannabis – New Brunswick
- News2018.10.16Halifax rolls out more designated smoking areas ahead of cannabis legalization – Halifax