Brandon police are warning parents to make sure cannabis products are kept out of sight after two young children got their hands on a cannabis-infused chocolate bar.
Police said the children, aged five and two, had to be taken to hospital for treatment on Saturday.
“Just looking at it, you can see why a child would grab it and think it’s just a piece of chocolate,” Brandon police Sgt. Dallas Lockhart told CBC News on Saturday.
Lockhart said the service wanted to use it as an example for parents on why it’s important to keep such products away from children.
This afternoon, members were called to assist BFES ambulance with a 5 year-old & 2 y.o. who ate an edible cannabis chocolate bar. Easy to see why a child would think this is a regular chocolate bar. This is not for children, so please keep it safely stored!! #bdnmb #notforkids pic.twitter.com/MB7yhQI7C8
“This does look like an actual chocolate bar,” he said. “It’s not surprising that children, especially young children, would see it and think that it’s a treat.”
Purchasing or selling edible cannabis products is still illegal in Canada, but making them at home is allowed under the current legislation.
Lockhart said the incident is under investigation and wouldn’t say whether anyone would face charges.
“We’re not pointing a finger at one particular person,” he said. “This was an unfortunate incident. We wanted to take this opportunity, with a live example, to say that these are products that are not meant for children.”
- CBC News services keep Canadians at home and abroad informed about their communities, their country and the world. CBC/Radio-Canada is the country's largest news organization, employing more than 800 journalists in Canada and around the globe. Their stories appear on CBC Television, CBC Radio, CBCNews.ca and CBC News Network.
- News2019.02.19Ban gummy bears and other kid-friendly cannabis edibles, says Toronto medical officer of health
- News2019.02.15Aphria review of acquisitions at centre of short seller allegations finds price paid was on the high end
- News2019.02.1470-year-old Saint John man suffers heart attack after consuming cannabis lollipop
- News2019.02.13‘Double-edged sword:’ Teens’ long-term cannabis use tied to higher depression risk