facebook

Increasing numbers of pets are being sickened by marijuana, veterinarians warn

Increasing numbers of pets are being sickened by marijuana, veterinarians warn

Veterinarians say they’re seeing an increasing number of dogs sickened after ingesting marijuana, and are warning pet owners to take care as Canada prepares for cannabis legalization this year.

Dr. Jeff Goodall, a veterinarian who runs the Sunnyview Animal Centre in Bedford, N.S., says he’s seeing a growing number of dogs with marijuana toxicity.

READ: What happens to drug-sniffing dogs when marijuana is legalized in Canada?

Goodall says he saw five cases in 2017, three in 2016, and none the year before that.

He says the THC in marijuana doesn’t make the dog high. Rather, it makes them very sick – wobbling, crying, and urinating uncontrollably, and in rare cases it can lead to death.

WATCH: Toronto vet clinic sounds alarm over increase in treatments of dogs who’ve ingested marijuana





Goodall says he’d like to see warnings and greater public education on what marijuana can do to pets.

In Colorado, where recreational marijuana was legalized in 2012, there was a four-fold increase in reported cases of toxicity in dogs between 2010 and 2015.



Source link

>
Buds2Go.ca is not responsible for, nor do we always share the opinions of the content posted on our website through our partners or independent authors.

Leave a Reply